Sunday, November 13, 2005

exercise in futility

The audience. So I'm writing about middle school, and the typical audience for a book set in middle school would obviously be middle schoolers. However, I'm not intended it for middle schoolers, I'm intending it for adults. Because of this, I'm not nicing it up at all. It's a good thing this isn't a commerical enterprise, because probably this is too adult for kids, and no one would want to try to sell this to adults. I'm also really struggling with how the plot is going to play out. I'm thinking and thinking, but not enough. I'm not thinking while I'm writing, so I guess I'm really doing more wirting than thinking and planning. Problem. I've got too many elements, and some are being ignored for long chunks of time. Isuppose this is the type of thing that gets fixed in editing, and the whole reason we're doing this in a month is so we'll keep writing despite these concerns about the direction we're taking, because if this weren't nanowrimo, I'd probably not continue writing this until I had something figured out, which isn't necessarily the best thing to do.

I just feel like it's getting worse and worse, and less and less fun. Like I'm writing this death march story, and any sort of whimsy is gone. I need to take some time for reflection rather than obsess over getting 6000 words this weekend, which I did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home