Monday, November 07, 2005

"this week or last week/I don't really care about it anymore"

Yesterday I nickel and dimed my way to a decent word count, working in pieces as small as 200 words, because there are so many distractions and other things I could be doing on the weekends. When I'm writing here in the morning, this is the only thing I could possibly be doing right now, so I'm right here in the moment. Not so yesterday, so even though I felt guilty I wasn't working harder, I worked not so hard often enough that it worked. Last year my novel was very linear and followed the main plot pretty much from start to finish. This year, my novel is more ambitious and less linear, and I'm finding more problems with it and anticipating much more difficulty in the editing process, because instead of just changing the wording, I'll have to move big chunks around, and go back and insert stuff that I neglected in the first draft. I'm a quarter of the way through, and I'm still on my first miniconflict. I've barely begun to lay groundwork for the main plot, and that's something I'm going to have to go back and fix.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home