Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Parts of this post may be a bit hard on myself

The first thing I can point out that I've sacrificed this month after sleep and exercise is afternoon syndicated television, i.e., The Simpsons at 5 and 6. I might be able to live without that block of tv time after nanowrimo is over. I have been watching new Simpsons, along with Arrested Development and Scrubs. Coincidentally, my novel is derivative of the first two, and I'm going for a Scrubs-type of tone. The sentimental humor. But plot lines and jokes are taken directly from the Simpsons. Characters are directly cribbed from Arrested Development. The beauty is that my Frankenstein's monster of a novel is not 1% as funny as any of these shows, and about as interesting as a diorama. On the history of dioramas. Taken from the Simpsons: helper monkeys. Taken from AD: an idiot man-child brother. All parts not taken from television shows are taken from movies. No specific movie, because I took care only to use scenes that have appeared in enough movies that they are cliche. No, that's too much credit, because it would be an interesting experiment to see what happens if you forced yourself to write only in cliche. Truth is, no care was taken in writing this abomination that screams "kill me! kill me!" except that its vocal cords are in its butt, so you can't understand what it's saying, kind of like Metallica's "One" video.

Having said that, I'm going to get my 50k. So I've got that going for me. Which is nice. (Stolen!)

1 Comments:

At 10:22 PM, Blogger M said...

Good work - keep it up! That you have come so far should be encouragement in itself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home